14th Annual Bsec Forum – The Ethics if Artificial Intelligence and Robotics –
November 13, 2022 – Virtual
- Prognostication of Critically Ill Patients – the ‘Science’, the ‘Art’ and the Creeping Commercialism:
- Knowledge, attitudes and practices of healthcare personnel towards Care-Ethics: A perspective from the Caribbean: Seetharaman Hariharan, M.D., Ramesh Jonnalagadda, M.S., Jagathi Gora, M.S.
- Futility-of-care decisions in the treatment of moribund intensive care patients in a developing country: Seetharaman Hariharan MD, Harley S.L. Moseley FFARCS, Areti Y. Kumar MD, Errol R. Walrond FRCS,
Ramesh Jonnalagadda MS
- Ethical issues in anesthesia: the need for a more practical and contextual approach in teaching: Seetharaman Hariharan
- Life Support to prolong the process of dying – a case of inappropriate diffusion of technology: Seetharaman Hariharan, MBBS, MD, FCCM, the University of West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad
- Knowledge and attitudes of medical and nursing practitioners regarding non-beneficial futile care in the intensive care units of Trinidad and Tobago: Sridhar Polakala, Seetharaman Hariharan and Deryk Chen
- Knowledge, attitudes and practice of healthcare ethics and law among doctors and nurses in Barbados: Seetharaman Hariharan*†, Ramesh Jonnalagadda†, Errol Walrond† and Harley Moseley†
- Visiting Caribbean Bioethicists: U. Schuklenk. Developing World Bioethics. 12 (2). 2012
The Executive of BSEC would like to congratulate the following members for their various accomplishments:
¨ Dr. Derrick Aarons
2022: Ethics Consultant, The Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA)
Co-coordinator and Co-Editor of the International Bioethics Committee (IBC) Preliminary Draft Report on “The Principle of Solidarity and Cooperation”
Tutor – Masters in Bioethics, St. George’s University, Grenada, Universidad Autonoma de Queretaro, Mexico, and Clarkson University, USA –Caribbean Research Ethics Education Initiative
Member – The IBC Bureau of UNESCO
Member – The Executive for the Caribbean Association of Medical Councils (CAMC)
PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS:
Aarons Derrick. Deliberations on Principles of the Universal Declaration on Bioethics & Human Rights: Summary of The Principle of Protecting Future Generations. IBC Newsletter, UNESCO 2022; Vol.3: p.13-14.
Aarons Derrick. Ethical considerations during a Pandemic. BioethicsCaribe. Feb. 2022: 9 – 14.
- July ’22: “The multi-faceted issue of abortion” and “Legal Prohibition: Public good or legislating morality?” – The Annual Ethics Conference, the Association of General Practitioners of Jamaica
- Jan. ’22: “The ethical use of social media among medical professionals” – Medical Council of Jamaica Ethics Webinar 2022
- Dec. ’21: “Final draft Report on the Principle of Protecting Future Generations” – International Meeting of the International Bioethics Committee (IBC) of UNESCO
- Apr.’22: “Vital Communications in Medicine: Informed Consent & communication with Relatives” – Surgeons Association of Central Jamaica
- Oct.’21: “Ethical Considerations During a Pandemic” –Conference, Antigua & Barbuda Medical Council
The Ethics of Organoids – Interviewed by the University of Norway for the new European project, HYBRIDA, on the regulatory framework for organoid research and gene editing and cloning technologies around the world – Jun’21
¨ Prof. Cheryl MacPherson
RESEARCH SUPPORT (2 active)
ACTIVE R25 TW009731-01 Administrative Supplement 09/01/22-08/30/23
CC Macpherson PD/PI
ACTIVE R25 TW009731-01 (Renewal) 02/01/20-12/31/24
R25 TW009731-01 06/01/14-12/31/18
CC Macpherson PD/PI
NIH-Fogarty International Center. Caribbean Research Ethics Education Initiative
- Can bioethics do for our planet what it’s done for autonomy? Perspectives in Biology and Medicine. Invited. submitted June 2022.
- Macpherson C. Global bioethics: it’s past and future. Global Bioethics. January 2022. 31;33(1):45-9.
- Jennings NP, Chambaere K, Macpherson CC et al. Medical end-of-life decision-making in a small resource-poor Caribbean country: a mortality follow-back study of home deaths. Ann Palliat Med 2021. Online First. https://dx.doi.org/10.21037/apm-21-1793
- Macpherson, CC. How bioethics can help mitigate climate emissions. Invited speaker. Ethical Perspectives on Health Impacts of Climate Change: NordForsk Conference. Umea, Sweden and virtual. 22-23 September 2022. https://www.nordforsk.org/events/2022/ethical-perspectives-health-impacts-climate-change
- Jennings N, Chambaere K, Macpherson CC, Cox K, Deliens L, Cohen J. Medical end-of-life decision-making in a small resource-poor Caribbean country: a mortality follow-back study of home deaths. Health systems research 7th global symposium (III HSG Pre-Conference in the Americas). Jan 18, 2022.
- Macpherson, CC. Promoting research ethics around the globe (panelist). Bioethics Program of Clarkson University and Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai: 20th Anniversary Speaker Series. January 14, 2022.
- Macpherson, CC. Panelist: Ethics, Climate Change, and Future of Work (in webinar series ‘Ethics and the Future of Work’). The University of Colorado’s Center for Bioethics and Humanities and Center for Health, Work & Environment at Colorado School of Public Health. Nov 22, 2021.
- Macpherson, CC, Cummins P, Romero Zepeta, H. Bilingual education for research ethics. SGU Research Day, October 24, 2021
- Noel N, Macpherson, CC. Climate Change and Bioethical Challenges for Low and High Resource Countries. SGU Research Day, October 24, 2021
¨ Shereen Cox, Doctoral Research Fellow
Empirical Bioethics Summer School, Amsterdam UMC & VU university
- Shereen Cox, Jan Helge Solbakk, Rosemarie D. L. C. Bernabe. (2022) Research ethics committees and post-approval activities: a qualitative study on the perspectives of European research ethics committee representatives. Current Medical Research and Opinion 0:0, pages 1-11.
- Cox, Shereen, Seetharaman,Hariharan. (2022) Off-label use of pharmaceutical drugs during the COVID-19 pandemic: Reflections from the English-Speaking Caribbean Redbioetica UNESCO. 2022
- Cox S, Solbakk J, Bernabe Rosemarie, The role of research ethics committees after the approval of clinical trial protocols in the EU and the USA: a descriptive content analysis of international and regional normative documents. Current Medical Research and Opinion
https://doi.org/10.1080/03007995.2021.1905621 (2021) 37(6) 1061-1069
1. Professional Ethics in Pharmacy Practice, Guyana Pharmacy Association, February 2022
2. Data Protection Act and Pharmacist: From Confusion to Compliance T Geddes Grant Virtual Webinar, Jamaica, July 2022
3. A Duty to care: Ethics and Pharmacy Practice, Cayman Pharmacists Association, July 2022
¨ Sherry Ephraim-Le Compte, Vice President, BSEC
Recently appointed member of CARPHA REC
Presentation on local REC to the Minister and PS of Health Wellness and Elderly Affairs in Saint Lucia.
¨ Athene Hilary Aberdeen, Facilitator (Retired).
Masters Degree in Global Bioethics Dec. 2021from University of Anahuac, Mexico. A Collaboration of Anahuac, UPRA in Rome and /UNESCO Chair in Bioethics.
¨ Prof. Donald Simeon
- Bolleddula J, Simeon D, Anderson S, Shields L, Mullings J, Ossorio P, Bethelmey A, Kasafi Perkins A (2022) No person left behind: Mapping the health policy landscape for genomics research in the Caribbean. The Lancet Regional Health – Americas Volume 15, 100367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lana.2022.100367.
- Ramdass MJ, Gonzales J, Maharaj D, Simeon D, Barrow S. Breast Carcinoma Receptor Expression in a Caribbean Population. Surg J (N Y). 2022 Sep 19;8(3):e262-e265. doi: 10.1055/s-0042-1756632. PMID: 36131945; PMCID: PMC9484866.
Member of the Global Steering Group (GSG) of the WHO Evidence-informed Policy Network (EVIPNet)
¨ Balford A. Lewis, Associate Professor
Co-editor of the Reader: Lewis, Balford, and Luke Plutowski. (Eds.) 2021. The Political Culture of Democracy in Jamaica and in the Americas, 2021: Taking the Pulse of Democracy. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN USA
¨ Kandamaran Krishnamurthy, Pediatric ICU Consultant
International transplant conference 2021,India gave talk on world Brain death project https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kandamaran_Krishnamurthy
¨ Leon Budrie, Clinical ethics Fellow, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
Budrie L, Narinesingh A. Locked out: An ethical analysis of Trinidad and Tobago’s COVID-19 border closure. Ethics Med Public Health. 2022 Feb;20:100749. doi: 10.1016/j.jemep.2021.100749. Epub 2021 Dec 7. PMID: 34901364; PMCID: PMC8648578.
Recently started a 2 year postdoctoral fellowship in clinical ethics at Baylor College of Medicine.
¨ Mr. Latelle Barton
Accepted into Harvard Medical School Center for Bioethics Fellowship Program for September class 2022-2023.
¨ Dr. Barbara Landon, Professor Emeritus
Saving Brains Grenada have founded the CCCN. A list of publications and other activities can be found at our brand new website: https://cccnd.org/publications/peer-reviewed-journals/