The Society is primarily for persons who have or intend to have a significant involvement in the discussion, teaching, research, or clinical aspects of bioethics in the English-speaking Caribbean. New members of the Society shall be accepted subject to approval by the Executive Committee. Where deemed necessary, written recommendations for membership from 2 existing members of the Society may be requested.
Applications for membership are reviewed by BSEC officers. Applicants will be invited to pay dues when they are officially informed of their acceptance into BSEC within 2 months of applying . Dues can be paid by clicking on the subscribe button above.
The categories of membership are:
- Regular: Regular membership in the Society shall be available to any person who is a registered member of a health care profession, possess formal qualifications in fields related to ethics, law, religious studies, science, social science, or other interested professional person. (USD20/year)
- Contributing: Contributing membership in the Society shall be available to any person who meets the qualifications for regular membership and is either an inmate in a penal institution; a senior citizen (65 years or older); a student regularly enrolled in a recognized tertiary level institution; an active volunteer with the Society; or unable to afford the dues required of regular members. Non voting. No dues are paid.
- Benefactor: A benefactor in the Society is any person who meets the qualifications for regular membership and who contributes an amount in excess of the dues required for regular members. (USD40/year)
- Corporate/Organization: Corporate or organization membership in the Society is available to any corporation or organization that meets the qualifications for regular membership. Non voting. (USD100/year)
- Life: Life membership shall be conferred on each person who meets the qualification for regular membership and makes a single contribution to the Society in an amount determined from time to time by the Executive Committee.
- Honorary: Honorary membership in the Society may be recommended by the Executive Committee and conferred by 2/3 majority of the membership at the Annual Business Meeting of the Society on the basis of extraordinary and meritorious service to the Society over a period of years, or on the basis of some outstanding accomplishment in the area of bioethics. No dues are paid.
- Patron: Patron of the Society may recommended by the Executive Committee and conferred by 2/3 majority of the membership at the Annual Business Meeting of the Society. The Patron shall actively support the mission and objectives of the Society. No subscription fees are due. The Patron shall be a non-voting member of the Society. No dues are paid.